Keelanelli plant, also called Keezhanelli plant is scientifically called as Phyllanthus Niruri. It is also called as gale of the wind, stonebreaker or seed-under-leaf. It is a tropical plant, is commonly found everywhere in coastal regions, and is known to grow in wet soil. One can easily grow them at home. Keelanelli leaves or Keezhanelli leaves and roots are known for their medicinal values for treating migraine, jaundice and liver ailments.
1. It has also been used topically as a treatment for skin ulcers, sores, swelling, and itchiness
2. The antiseptic,coolant, stomachic and diuretic properties of this plant have been utilized in traditional medicine.
3. Its efficacy in the field of gastro intestinal disorders like dyspepsia,diarrhoea, constipation, and dysentery is undisputed.
4. It has a urolithic property, dissolving renal calculi.
5. Also used in cough, asthma and other bronchial affections.